COVID-19 is an acute respiratory illness in humans caused by a coronavirus (SARS-CoV2), capable of producing severe symptoms and in some cases death, especially in older people and those with underlying health conditions. COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans. Since December 2019, cases have been identified in a growing number of countries.
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are known to cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Severe Acute Respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). Public health authorities are learning more every day.
Symptoms of COVID-19
Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure:
- New loss of taste or smell
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle pain
How to Protect Yourself from COVID-19
- Wear mask in public place.
- Keep social distance when in the public places.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid crowds as much as possible.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if you have symptoms of acute respiratory illness.
- Stay home from work or school until you are free of fever, signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours and without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medications.
- Seek medical attention if you have reason to believe you have been exposed to coronavirus or influenza. Call your healthcare provider before visiting a healthcare facility.
Ready for COVID-19 Vaccine
CDC Updated Jan. 7, 2021: What to Expect at Your Appointment to Get Vaccinated for COVID-19
Selected Documents from MDHHS, CDC, and Popular Sites
MDHHS: My COVID Risk – English
MDHHS: My COVID Risk – Chinese
CDC: CDC stop-the-spread-of-germs poster kchd – English
CDC: CDC stop-the-spread-of-germs poster kchd – Chinese
CDC: CDC stop-the-spread-of-germs poster kchd – Burmese
Vox: The evolution of hand-washing, explained by a historian
MDHHS: COVID-19 Vaccines Frequently Asked Questions – English
MDHHS: COVID-19 Vaccines Frequently Asked Questions – Arabic
MDHHS: COVID-19 Vaccines Frequently Asked Questions – Chinese
MDHHS: COVID-19 Vaccines Frequently Asked Questions – Spanish